Sunday, May 23, 2010

Of stagging it to the movies

Yesterday marked an important day in my life. I made a resolution of sorts. More like a self-assertive decision which goes somewhat to the effect of; “I shall not whine about not having anybody to take to the movies and I shall go watch a movie if and when I feel like doing so, alone and unencumbered, if that’s what circumstances require”.

After weeks of deferring my plans of watching certain movies that I have waited eagerly for awhile, hoping I’d finally find someone to take along, I decided to stop being a loser and head off to watch Iron-Man 2 all by myself. I felt proud. I was completely overcome with joy at this little personal triumph and wallowed in a self-congratulatory feeling of victory at such an ill-fortune-vanquishing stand. Kudos!

I stood gaunt and proud as the escalator escalated me to the second floor of South City mall which houses the pompous and ridiculously expensive Fame theatre. As I walked past the bench-fulls of canoodling couples I shot them an arrogant side glance. I didn’t need an arm candy to enjoy a good movie. Besides, it was economical too, had I been taking someone along I’d inevitably end up paying for her ticket, miserably losing the fierce internal battle between my perceptions of a gentlemanly gesture and just being practical and going Dutch by asking her for her share of the ticket money. This one battle, I have ALWAYS lost.

Nevertheless, I marched right up to the ticket counter and as I looked up at the screen above that flashed the show timings and rates my heart sank. There was only a single show for Iron Man 2, that too as late as half past ten at night.

Drat!

Even if I went for it, it would invoke my parent’s right to subject me to excruciatingly prolonged badgering the whole of the following morning about my complete disregard for ‘rules’ and insensitiveness. At this juncture, in my life I am prepared to endure pretty much anything, anything but lecturing. I have had enough of that and more.

Clenching my fists I turned around and headed back to the parking area. If being single isn’t that big a pain in the ass, unreasonable movie timings definitely is!

1 comment:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

Wow! Took you till so long to finally head for a movie alone?
Been doing that for more than 6 years now! And its quite the pleasure to watch a movie alone...you dont have to endure a boring dissection of the movie afterwards! I like all movies, without discrimination! From the most rubbish movies, to the really classy acts, I enjoy them all...
But yeah, I hate those unreasonable movie timings...bitches those!