Sunday, May 9, 2010

By the way...

A-ha! look who is back after a prolonged hiatus from his once favourite passtime, what a delightful surprise!
A lot has been going on in my life lately. Its interesting, the mathematics of it, how and when things take place in the human life. One minute you are in limbo, nothing seems to be happening, good or bad and then all of a sudden things start happening, tumbling out of fate's wallet, again, good or bad, they rush in like a vertiginous tornado reshuffling and rearranging your life at the bat of an eyelid and leave you completely bewildered in their wake. You never realise it. Like a guerilla attack in a dense jungle. Swift and effective.
So after months of boredom and frustration I finally got 'taken in' at Rediffusion Young & Rubicam as a trainee copywriter & ad ideator at their Kolkata office. I start work later this week. A pretty exciting developement this, considering I was not required to 'roam the streets under the sun all day long with my resumae held underneath my armpit' for this one. To put it in a way so as not to sound too prudish, a few lucky 'associations' struck over the last few months at a couple of parties did it for me. A few calls, a swift interview, a copy test and it was done. I am thankful to all who have had a role in this.
Athough what I'll be making per month as a rookie at Rediffusion would run out if I bought a chewing gum every morning on my way to work, the training I expect to get is really what I am looking forward to.
All of this has also brought me to somewhat of a dilemma, a knot in the line. Now I am at a loss as to whether I should go ahead with applying to WestHearts college or Bucks in the UK for a Post Grad course in Creative Advertising. Many say, once the door to an agency has opened up to you theres no need for further education. Agreed. But I have always wanted to study in Vilayat, big dreams, long story...what do I do of that? Besides my aunt has agreed to accomodate me at her place in London in case I were to go, the offer may not subsist if I went later and in such an event I would have to cough up three times my course fee on accomodation, travel, food and alcohol. Time is running out, the courses start in September, this year.
I hope my next post talks about a decision on this.
Finally, I intend to get myself a pair of those thick framed 'geek' glasses in a day or two, must look the part.

No comments: