Sunday, May 17, 2009

The silver spoon in my mouth...

Folks from the previous generation get a mean kick out of tom-toming their struggles. Some cycled for miles to get to school, some travelled by crowded buses, some carried buckets of water back home from a hand pump somewhere far away, some gave private lessons to finance their further education and some studied underneath a streetlamp.

I respect all of the above. Point taken!

But I do not agree that since we have had it better, we are scum.

I cannot explain how much it ticks me off every single day to be made subject to that routine harangue by everybody, at home, at office, in busses, in the courts, at the markets; to be told that I have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth and to be told that our generation doesnt value what we have, to be pointed a finger at and told that we 'Elite college' folks dont know shit and that we lack strength of character as we do not know what 'real struggle' is.

I only wish they had a taste of what we are put through sometimes , more often than never because of a few members of their own generation! Maybe if they'd quit being so over-proud of their humble origins and wake up, they would see that we, kids, are faced with concerns graver than they could have ever dreamt of during their times.

So typically Kolkata!

2 comments:

Paroma said...

Couldn't agree with you more on this. And you know, its not limited to Calcutta only. You must see the North Indians too to understand fully "look at me, see how much I have achieved, I come from a village without electricity" thing. It sucks.

Da said...

hehe.. i think it's pretty much the same the world over, man... you know the 'back in the day' bit... the irony is people warning us of all the heavy competition we are up against these days, telling us to buckle up or be left behind, and telling us at the same time that we have it easier... what can one do :)

i'll bet we'll dole out the same horseshit to our kids...